News, Highlights, and More!
BLSC Paying It Forward Scholarship Program
Bright Lights Show Cattle began with a single Shorthorn heifer and an army of supporters along the way. These supporters helped make all the BLSC success possible and it’s been our goal to find additional ways to pay it forward to the future of the cattle industry. Because of this, BLSC has committed to funding a $500 scholarship for a qualified applicant. We all had to start somewhere and we want to give someone the boost they need to get going or keep going!
A Stock Show Kids Christmas List 11/27/19
Every stock show kid has a list for Santa Claus and dreams of Christmas morning. What’s on your stock show kid’s list? Have they been naughty or nice? If they aren’t destined for a lump of coal this year, be sure to check out the compilation some of the most popular wish lists items!
1. Yeah, that old bent show stick doesn’t look all that great in the show ring anymore. Maybe it’s time to retire it to the barn as a practice stick and get your new one here: Carbon Fiber Show Stick
2. Does your little showman have a ton of questions? Do they always ask why or how? Do you want to encourage them to read about topics that interest them? Be sure that Before the Banner :: The Complete Guide to Show Cattle is under the tree on Christmas morning! Great for all ages.
3. Is your young fitter tired of getting tangled up in cords when they are clipping and fitting? With a three hour run time on a two hour charge the Andis Pulse ZR 2 will become their favorite show day tool! This updated version has a detachable battery pack, so be sure to order your extra battery here.
4. If you have a showman who is dedicated to growing hair, The Green Stuff should be your go to. Proven use by champions.
5. If your stock show kid is going to winter shows or spring jackpots, they are going to need to get product out of cattle after the show is over. Make sure they are prepared with eZall It's Gone Adhesive Remover.
6. Does your stock show kid want an upgrade of the stalls whether that be at home or at shows? Be sure to check out the Straight Up Bars. Other versions also available.
7. If your stock show kid works in a dimly lit area, they will be sure to love the Lakeside Lights Starter Kit!
8. Make clean up after fitting a breeze for your stock show kid, Hocus Pocus Wipes are the way to go- Easily clean up hands, chute bars, fitting mats, and more!
9. Have your stock show kid prepared for the spring hair shucking season with this shedding comb. Getting that dead hair out is an important spring job!
10. A calf for next show season!
What’s under the Christmas tree is fun, but the livestock family knows that the people around the tree are the most important thing. Here’s to all the stock show kids who have to do chores on Christmas morning before they get to open the gifts Santa Claus brought them!
Brand Name Marketing 10/13/19
Four Reasons Shorthorns Should Be In Your Herd 4/26/2018
On June 3, 2018, we will be celebrating 11 years in business. Like any agricultural pursuit, there have been highs and lows, good days and bad; however, when you are doing what you truly have a passion for, the bad just doesn’t seem to matter nearly as much. Looking back now, it seems not that long ago we were sorting through lots at a pasture sale with excitement bubbling up. Then, we found The One. Luckily for us, The One happened to be a Shorthorn.
For the past 10+ years, we have found countless reasons to be grateful for our Shorthorn cow herd and recently I saw ads produced by the American Shorthorn Association that actually put numbers to what we have witnessed year after year.
Four Reasons Shorthorns Should be in Your Herd:
1. Maternal Ability
Fertility is one of the top predictors of profitability in a cow herd. If a cow doesn’t become pregnant she will never produce a return on the investment you have in her. Once a heifer calf is retained or purchased for a replacement it takes nearly 2 years before a calf is on the ground and another 6-10 months before a cow/calf producer sees a return on her. According to MARC, 94.2% of Shorthorn heifer become pregnant by the time they are 550 days of age compared to 86.0% of Angus and Hereford Heifers and 84.7% of Simmental heifers.
So, what if you don’t have Shorthorn cows and don’t want to replace your entire cow herd? Try a Shorthorn bull! Shorthorn-British breed crosses increase a cow’s years of lifetime production by .93 years. But what does that actually mean? An additional calf! So, as the ASA ad puts it, “What’s an extra calf worth” to you?
2. Carcass Traits
Every cattle producer knows that the end product in the beef cattle life cycle is meat! Cattle producers want to create that meat efficiently as possible. Profit = Income – Expenses. Cattle producers also want to create a quality product at the same time. Their cattle are ranked on both- Quality and Yield Grades. Shorthorns had the best calculated yield grade of 2.6 compared to Hereford, Red Angus, and Angus (2.8, 2.9, and 3.0 respectively) well still averaging Low Choice and maintaining the lowest amount of trimmable fat among the group!
3. Docility Pays
Docility affects average daily gain which affects your bottom line. According to Tri-County steer carcass futurity, cattle were chute scored for docility on a scale of 1 to 6. Scores 1-2 were considered docile, 3-4 were restless, and 5-6 were aggressive. Those that had a score of 1-2 had an ADG of 3.56 compared to 3.45 for chute scores 3-4 and 3.37 for chute scores 5-6. Shorthorns averaged a 1.7 chute score. Docility Pays. Shorthorns Pay.
Not only does docility pay, it also makes life easier!
4. Junior Focused
Shorthorn breeders are also incredibly junior focused and the association has one of the best junior breed organizations in the country. There’s no doubt that the National Junior Shorthorn Show is the event that is most looked forward to for juniors all over the US, the national junior board is second to none, and the scholarship program helps juniors further their education.
These are only 4 of the many reasons we appreciate Shorthorns here at Bright Lights Show Cattle. We hope if you are looking for a Shorthorn that you would be sure to check out what we have to offer!